Finished my wrap skirt!
The gingham is from a $3.99 3X dress from Old Navy.
The floral fabric is a cotton japanese print from Stitch Lab,
which has very cool fabric.
For fun, I added some kick pleats in the back.
You can see what the floral fabric looked like before.
Using a free motion embroidery pressure foot, I machine stitched around the flowers I wanted to keep. This is a take on the ancient embroidery technique called Mola, which I learned at a class at Sew Much More. Carefully, I cut around the flowers revealing the gingham below.
I came up with the idea of lacing the front like a corset. After marking the fabric with a pen, I made tiny button holes using my buttonhole foot. Having the bow at the top makes it easy to take on and off.
A matching acid yellow cord add just a touch of fun.
I love all the contrasting colors against the plaid.