There must be something new and fun to discover today

Dream it...Design it...Do it!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Draping 101

I am channelling my inner project runway. I am going to a party in Orlando that is "resort casual". I found this great orange-red drapey rayon at Tex-Styles fabric shop yesterday (it looks pink in the picture). I have to whip this together by tomorrow!!! 

1) I draped the material around the form using the elastic band.
2) Just above the elastic band, I marked the cut line with a water-based fabric pen. 
3) I laid the fabric on the floor and trued up the line with my french curve.
4) I cut the piece out, using the line as a guide. It curved, mmm, interesting.
4) It is on the bias so I let it sit overnight to see how much it would stretch. 

Now I have to make the waistband and do a side seam and voila! 
It is never that simple, though, right? I should probably make a paper pattern before anything, in case it turns out fabulous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment